Friday, June 15, 2012

4th of July Craft

I love Pintrest! I am truly addicted! I get so much inspiration from there. 
I saw this bunting the other day from www.thelongthread.com
and I thought it would be a great craft to do with the kids. One of the best things about this project was we just used what we had a round the house! 

First the fabric: I have a pile of old white work shirts from my husband, so we used those. First we cut out a piece of cardboard that was 5 1/2 in by 7 1/2in then we traced that onto the white shirts with a disappearing ink pen. My 6 yr old then cut the rectangles with pinking shears. She loved this job, especially since she got to use Mommy's scissors!

Second the stamps: I knew we didn't have any big star stamps but I was hoping to find something! Nope so we went around the house and looked for star shaped things we could use as a stamp. I found a wooden star cut out which we glued to a cork and some potatoes and a star shaped cookie cutter. I cut the potato in half (all we had were little new potatoes) and then used the cookie cutter to cut out a star. We actually need up with 2 different stamps. One was the star and the other was a circle with a star removed. 

Third the paint and set up: We used indoor - outdoor paint since I knew I wanted to hang this up outside. Make sure you put something underneath the fabric because the paint bleeds through. I originally had the kids use the foam brushes to put the paint on the stamps but then it became easier to just rub the stamp in the paint without any brushes.

Finally the sewing: After the flags were dry we (kids on my lap) sewed the flags onto some twine (it is just what we had). Rope, or bias tape would work just fine. I just folded the flags over the twine and sewed right through the twine so they wouldn't slip around. If you don't like to sew you can use fabric glue!
                         




And TA DA!




I am pretty pleased with the final product! I love sitting at the kitchen table and looking out the window into the garden and getting to see our pretty bunting! 


No comments:

Post a Comment